Albert Kissack (d 27 Mar 1918)

Name: KISSACK
Initials: Albert
Nationality: United Kingdom
Rank: Private
Regiment: Cheshire Regiment
Unit Text: 16th Bn.
Date of Death: 27/03/1918
Service No: 51688
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: P. VI. H. 7B.
Cemetery: ST. SEVER CEMETERY EXTENSION, ROUEN

Cemetery: ST. SEVER CEMETERY EXTENSION, ROUEN
Country: France
Locality: Seine-Maritime
Visiting Information: OPENING TIMES: 1 March - 1 November: Monday-Saturday : 0815-1815 Sundays/Bank Holidays : 0815-1745 2 November-28 February: Every Day : 0815-1645
Location Information: St. Sever Cemetery and Extension is situated about 3 kilometres south of Rouen Cathedral and a short distance west of the road from Rouen to Elbeuf. Coming from Elbeuf/Caen on the N.138 follow Avenue Des Canadiens right down to the roundabout. Take the fourth exit into Boulevard Stanislas Girardin, and the cemetery lies 150 metres on the left. If coming from station Rive Gauche, Gare St Sever, follow Quai D'Elbeuf, Quai Jean Moulin, Quai Cavelier De La Salle into Avenue Jean Rondeaux, Av. De La Liberation, Bd. Du 11 Novembre to the roundabout. Take first exit into Boulevard Stanislas Girardin, the cemetery lies 150 metres on the left. St Sever is part of Le Petit Quevilly. The first CWGC signpost is just when you get to the entrance of the cemetery.
Historical Information: During the First World War, Commonwealth camps and hospitals were stationed on the southern outskirts of Rouen. A base supply depot and the 3rd Echelon of General Headquarters were also established in the city. Almost all of the hospitals at Rouen remained there for practically the whole of the war. They included eight general, five stationary, one British Red Cross and one labour hospital, and No. 2 Convalescent Depot. A number of the dead from these hospitals were buried in other cemeteries, but th e great majority were taken to the city cemetery of St. Sever. In September 1916, it was found necessary to begin an extension, where the last burial took place in April 1920. During the Second World War, Rouen was again a hospital centre and the extension was used once more for the burial of Commonwealth servicemen, many of whom died as prisoners of war during the German occupation. The cemetery extension contains 8,345 Commonwealth burials of the First World War (ten of them unidentified) and 328 from the Second World War (18 of them unidentified). The extension was designed by Sir Reginald Blomfield.
No. of Identified Casualties: 8653

copyright the Commonwealth War Graves Commission


 

Manx notebook-> killed on March 24th, 1918. ? Son of Mr. R. Kissack, Onchan


^Top
Next page: Post World War 2